Nowadays, most people tend to purchase their items online, including mattresses. We’ve been made to believe that the wondrous world of online shopping is supposed to make things more convenient to us and to free us from annoying salesmen pitches. While we cannot deny that it has made the shopping experience easier, it also has a few pitfalls. For instance, it is a bit complicated to find the right item due to the sheer number of brands that you are likely to encounter online. In particular, in the mattress world, new brands seem to pop up on a daily basis: there are memory foams, spring coils, and hybrids among other options.
So, the big question is, how do you go about finding a good mattress from online mattress stores? Well, here are a few things that you should always keep in mind:
- Don’t choose one type of mattress that everybody seems to be buying. Look for a mattress that suits your needs. Choose a mattress that you deem will serve you better and not what experts hail to be the best on the market.
- Firmness labels are not always accurate. ‘Firm’, ‘Medium-firm’, and ‘extra firm’ labels mean different things to different manufacturers. What one brand considers to be ‘extra firm’ may be equivalent to what another brand labels as ‘medium-firm’. In other words, never trust the labels completely, especially when buying from online mattress stores.
- Past customer reviews are some of the most important aspects to consider when buying any item online. They give you a more practical idea of some of the most popular mattresses on the market and some of the pros and cons that you should expect from each brand. Paying close attention to reviews can, therefore, help you narrow down your choices.
- Firmer or softer is not better. You only need enough firmness to support your spine and the rest of your body. However, excess firmness may cause unnecessary pressure points and prevent your spine from assuming and maintaining its natural curve when you are asleep. Additionally, too much softness might sag under the middle section of your spine, causing poor posture and back pain.
- Set a budget and stick to it. Mattress prices vary greatly, so you should decide on the amount that you are willing to spend and not go over that amount.
- Memory Foam and waterbeds are far from perfect. Although there is a lot of buzz around them, these types of mattresses aren’t the ultimate choice. Memory form mattresses, for instance, tend to feel hot, are prone to body indentations, and expel unpleasant chemical smell. On the other hand, some people feel seasick and dizzy on waterbeds and might not provide enough back support.
- Don’t forget to check a brand’s warranty. It is the most important aspect of the brands’ customer support system. Companies that provide longer warranties are the best.
Always remember that you will spend more time on your mattresses than other pieces of furniture in your home. So, taking your time to research well when buying from online mattress stores can pay a huge dividend in regard to your comfort and overall health for years to come.